March 3, 2009

speaking of George Jones...


Photobucket



Hello again...for those who read this and are big George Jones fans, I know you won't mind that big image of the magazine after you click the image. I scanned the magazine's cover as to why it's bigger than usual. I bought it off eBay several months ago and it's priceless to me. The magazine as you can see was published in January 1983 which means that the article written on George was put together at some point in late 1982...when George was still very much unpredictable and enjoying a highly successful duet project with Merle Haggard, the album A TASTE OF YESTERDAY's WINE, which I will spotlight in a future blog. This was the era in which his no-show reputation had escalated into tours being canceled and according to George, years later, he discovered that his manager's would often book him at two different venue's on the same night...leaving one venue filled with angry consumers while another venue "may" be treated to George himself, just in case he actually shown up...

We, as well as George himself, can make light of these wild and crazy antics now since basically all is forgiven because George was battling an illness known as alcoholism, which by the late '70s was mixed with another illness called drug addiction. This wasn't "George Jones" during most of this time period...and as George put it years later, "I was a completely different person inside the body you see today". This meant that George, while under the influence of both alcohol and drugs, was not himself...but after straightening himself up he was still the same person physically and visually but mentally he was now sane and rational.

During this time George was Nancy's on-again/off-again companion...George admitted years later that in the early days of his relationship with Nancy that he often tried to get rid of her...such as leaving her at shopping stores or sending her out for things and being gone when she came back. When telling these stories in 1996 during an interview promoting his autobiography, he, along with the studio audience, as well as Ralph Emery, howled with laughter.

He explained that this was the behavior of a madman who loved wine and cocaine more than anything...and in spite of George's efforts to rid himself of Nancy, she persisted and the two were married in early 1983...a few months after this magazine hit the stores. I believe the turning point was in late 1982 when George's former associates, as well as the Mob in Alabama, threatened Nancy and her family and this chaos caused George and Nancy and her children to head off to Texas and to the wooded area George's sister owned for seclusion...I believe that is how it all came about but I'm going by memory as I do not have I LIVED TO TELL IT ALL in front of me to confirm it.

Those other pictures in this blog are of me and some of my other George Jones items. I'm inside a flea market, which is where I found a vinyl LP of SHINE ON. In the other picture I'm simply showing off the cassette copy of YOU'VE STILL GOT A PLACE IN MY HEART and the other picture was taken recently where i'm showing RAGGED BUT RIGHT.

I know this link won't be able to be clicked but you can highlight it and Google the site for yourself...

http://www.bigthicketdirectory.com/articles/articles1.html

Once there you can read some behind the scenes stories of George in the early stages of Jones Country and some exchanges he had with the local residents.

No comments: