March 2, 2009

Let's Visit Jones Country






Hello once again...let's all take a visit to Jones Country. Oh, I don't mean literally...as it's no longer in business. Jones Country was the name of the seasonal outdoor music park that was owned and operated by George during the 1980's. It's grand opening was Labor Day 1983 and it was a somewhat thriving business for a period of years. I have no information on who bought it or even if it's still standing and I have no real information on when the park closed but I will say it shut down in 1988 after the spring and fall seasons as George and Nancy returned to Nashville after being Texas inhabitants since late 1982.



There is not much information about the country music park but there are a few trinkets and souvenirs/brochures floating around promoting the facility. As much as I can gather it was built back in the woods of southeast Texas. There is a nice centerfold of George promoting the park in a 1984 tour book that I have which is called FROM GOLD TO PLATINUM: I AM WHAT I AM. In this tour book there are several pictures of George at Jones Country, including a picture of him pushing over a tree in the woods. The park inspired the name of a 1983 album that Epic Records released. The album contained no singles and very few promotional ad's in spite of a stellar line-up of songs.

The album contains these ten songs...mostly all of them are ballads...

1. Radio Lover
2. Dream On
3. Hello Trouble
4. Burning Bridges
5. Wino the Clown
6. You Must Have Walked Across My Mind Again
7. I'd Rather Die Young Than Grow Old Without You
8. The Girl at the End of the Bar
9. One of These Days But Not Tonight
10. Famous Last Words

If you look at the songs and go "oh, I've heard Radio Lover and a few others", well, you'd be correct. In 1989 Epic pulled "Radio Lover" and "Burning Bridges" from this album and placed them on the 1989 ONE WOMAN MAN album. Then, in 1992, George re-recorded "You Must Have Walked Across My Mind Again" for his WALLS CAN FALL album...yet, originally when this JONES COUNTRY album was released, Epic released nothing from it. This is the album that followed SHINE ON and preceded YOU'VE STILL GOT A PLACE IN MY HEART. As of this writing, JONES COUNTRY has yet to be issued on CD or as an MP3.

A rare find for me...you don't know the many years I went through off and on tracking down JONES COUNTRY. I had at one time written a letter to a company that was an expert at tracking down rare and out of print albums only for them to reply that no such album named JONES COUNTRY from George Jones existed. Naturally, I knew it existed...once I became internet bound I eventually stumbled upon a vinyl copy for sell on eBay. I bought it...and then lightning struck again...several weeks later a cassette copy was being offered. I immediately bought it...AND the cassette copy of LADIES CHOICE...two mid '80s albums from George Jones that critics and fans alike don't even remember.

This is actually LADIES CHOICE, the duet album that was released in 1984 following YOU'VE STILL GOT A PLACE IN MY HEART. I wanted to show off the cassette version. I have the vinyl copy as well.

No comments: